Trout nuts are an edible and very tasty wild mushroom. It is important to pick it when it is young, because when it is big it becomes a tree. In the month of May, I came across some trout in the opportunity, during this normal walk in the desert, and, of course, I collect them. It is important to be careful to pick mushrooms only from a clean place if we are familiar with the mushrooms found. These voices are often found in May-June, and later – in autumn, around October-November.
In “Forgotten Herbs” the author says how to recognize these fungi: “They are saprophytic fungi found on the bark of deciduous trees and can grow to a large size, with a diameter of up to half a meter. They have a round cap, with a fan shape . irregular, in small tubes, spread on the legs, white at first ».
Valeriu told me that those are deadly trout. And he began to tell the story of “mushrooms” from childhood. He was not even ten years old when his grandfather Constantin started taking him to pick mushrooms in the Vorniceni forest. – Vica, I wish I could see how many trouts I collect in my grandfather, even today I do not understand how my grandfather can so skill in mushrooms. He found many kinds of mushrooms, many kinds! but they are all eaten! It didn’t fail once! It already has a well defined location. Every time I go mushroom picking, I come home with a bag full. This talent of his uncle is amazing. We started early in the morning and came back after sunset. And so it is from early spring to autumn.
Then, when the fruits are big, we store them in any way. I put some in a jar to eat. But most of them went to the ground. I take a variety of fresh mushrooms: trout, shrike, wild ears, mushrooms from the ground, from trees, and trees, and often I hear the word hribi. Almost every time I come back with the mushroom, cutza Ileana hop! but he was munching on a plate of a few mushrooms, fragrant polenta, evidence that the table had been set, and I smelled umami like a hand from heaven. It’s still very good! Grandma always cooks mushroom soup, but not always ciulamales, said Valeriu.
Let’s get back to our sheep!
Partly informed by the book “Forgotten Herbs” by Mona Petre, part experienced from childhood, I picked these mushrooms and cooked many dishes from them, including some vegetarian burgers.
We want to tell you how we prepare burgers. By the way, walnut trout can be replaced with other available mushrooms or combined with other types of mushrooms.
Trout Burger Recipe (two servings)
- 2 mushrooms*
- Onion rings
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- A slice of cheese
- Slices of raw, pickled or marinated cucumber
- 2 muffins (or other sweet buns)
- Hot sauce (for example, sriracha or, preferably, adjika)
*Ingredients for poultry:
- 500 g of mushrooms
- 1 or two small beds
- 1-2 tablespoons of flour
- 1-2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 half onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method of preparing steaks for burgers:
1. I wash the mushrooms. I cut them into small pieces. I cut them in a blender (can be replaced with a meat grinder). I cut onion and garlic. I added other things. I mixed it all up and got a mouthful.
2. With the help of a kitchen ring (a kitchen ring can be improved by using aluminum foil) I gave the steaks a round shape. I wash them in a hot pan over medium heat until the last meal. They can be caramelized in the pan until we give them color, then put in the oven for another 15 minutes, at 180 degrees.
The process of preparing the final burger:
1. While the meat is cooking, prepare other ingredients: green salad leaves, onion rings (for other colors we chose red onion), cucumber rings.
2. I heat muffins cut in two in a hot pan.
3. When the dishes are cooked, put a little cheese on them and put them in the oven for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Spread the brioche with sriracha sauce or, better, with adjika, then put the meat on the lap of the sauce, after that we decorate it with the vegetables prepared earlier, available the more we like it. We add a little spicy sauce on top of the vegetables and add the last part of the structure – the other half of the muffin.
NB: this dish can become a vegetarian diet during fasting if we remove the egg and cheese from the mixture.
Good food, friends!
The recipe was prepared by Victoria Prunici and Valeriu Luța, the founders of the culinary blog Beast’s feet